Thursday, November 29, 2012

What I Learned in College Happened Outside of The Classroom


Hi loves,

Enjoy a free verse poem from me today. Stay encouraged! :)

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I licked the pavement on a Friday

I remember because it was very sunny.

I thought about my first love during the plane ride

and wondered if he’d still love me after I put on the freshman 15. (20).

I clung to my Daddy’s jacket when we walked

I was fresh to the ways of this town, this experience.

I smiled during the orientation

When a boy from Brooklyn introduced himself.

I cried my first night alone in the dorm

because I wanted to sleep in my Daddy’s hotel room

so a piece of my roots who rooted for me was near me.

I had fun at my first social

and laughed when the tan girl from Ohio sent me a smiley face.

She and me laughed even harder together

when the brown boy who was a local danced with us in the street.

He and I cried together once we realized

that we were put on this planet to do more

and we were put in this college to do more

than party like privileged suburban kids.

My heart opened up as I sang with the choir

and I laughed with the boy with the glasses

and got drunk with the girl with the gap

all as we sought to seek His plans for us.

I marveled at the girl who promised to endure

at the talented one who studied so hard for a major she hated

at the curly-haired one who had so much love to give

at the freckle-faced one who always laughed at my jokes

at the adorably curious one who had a flair for fashion.

In this place, I opened my legs on stage and flashed the world

and learned how to let my lady parts tell stories.

I opened my mouth and taught and healed and cultured and composed.

I opened my soul and let the hawk in.

Only, its icy coldness warmed my spirit.



©Jaida Triblet 2012

1 comment:

  1. I love it!! especially the privilege suburban kid line..

    ReplyDelete